Thursday, June 10, 2010

The ugly side of bedtime.....

So, I don't want to become THAT mom blogger that never tells about the ugly side of things. If I let it look as though my children only threw mild fits, then I'd feel awfully bad if I slipped and called them nasty buggers that made me want to pull my hair out and run away..... because that would make me a bad mom, right? Huh. Well, call me a bad mom, but sometimes they are nasty buggers that make me want to pull my hair out and run away! Like tonight. Perfect example.

Setting: Watched a friends FOUR GIRLS tonight. Ages: 1yr - 7yrs. Oh yes. It was a VERY full nest tonight!

Our plan: to put my kids to bed, put two of hers to bed, let the older two lay down with a movie in the play room, while WE watched a movie.

Her husband: deployed.
My husband: working.
Us: desperate for adult time. SO desperate in fact that we think our plan will work.

Reality: My oldest two were absolutely OUT OF THEIR MINDS INSANE with antics. Like one telling the other he hoped that he would put scissors in his mouth, fall, and choke on them. Why? Because he wouldn't SHARE the scissors. UM, HELLO! It's BEDTIME! What the crap are you doing with SCISSORS IN BED! I told the well wisher that HE could put the scissors in his mouth if he'd like, and he burst into tears and said no. Not so nice when it's turned around now is it? Then we had to have the talk about killing your brother and how not very nice that is. Then we had the whole "you need to apologize and tell your brother NICE things.... like how you love him and care about him and don't wish him dead. Things like that."

Then, I SWEAR, they were up NO LESS than 15 times. My poor poor friend just stared at me at one point and said "Brandy, I just want to tell you that I really really love you, so much, and I'm SO sorry you've had a bad day. And I love you." I said "WHERE ON EARTH DID THAT COME FROM?!" and she said "I just want you to know that, because I love you, and I have to tell you.... that you have two little children trying to creep down the stairs RIGHT NOW, and I'm sorry for you." No sooner had those words escaped her mouth, did you hear the pitter patter of feet barrelling up the stairs back to their beds. This went on for the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE MOVIE.

Heaven help me.

Now, the pretty side of this.... is that when they do wrong, THEY KNOW IT, and try to sweet talk me and give me all kinds of lovin.... and when I tell them NO WAY JOSE YOU CANT SWEET TALK ME they throw themselves on the bed and wail in yet another attempt. The beauty of the night though....is that right now they are finally asleep. FINALLY ASLEEP.

And this.... is a night in the life of a full nest. I kid you not. Anyone know where I can go to get a grip on bedtime?!

OY.

No comments: